Saturday, January 17, 2015

Featured author: Barbara Fox, enjoy a sample of her work

A little book about the friendship between Jenna, the actress trying to adjust to life as a widow, Natalie, who chose a career instead of marriage and Liz, wife/mother/grandmother/volunteer/former cabaret singer. They think their lives are settled; they don't expect any drastic changes but they are in for some surprises. Travel, internet dating, family problems, new friends, computer classes, a career change, a romance and more give them a lot of things to discuss and plan at their weekly luncheons. They find that they can adapt to and even welcome and enjoy the life changes in spite of or because of their age; they are (shush, don't tell) over seventy!


Check out this excerpt from the book!

NATALIE

              NATALIE’S WEEKLY PLANNER


MONDAY         Luncheon show at River House Centerdo all holiday songs
TUESDAY         Appointment with photographer re new head shots
WEDNESDAY   Spa day, massage, pedicure, manicure
THURSDAY      Dinner show at Ivy House, learn some Spanish songs
FRIDAY            SAMA party, Liz and Joe will pick me up
SATURDAY       Theater with Clay
SUNDAY           Pot-luck dinner in building, bring dessert


Natalie stood in the middle of her huge walk-in closet looking for a solution to her favorite problemwhat to wear.   The first lines of a poem she read in some magazine ran through her mind.
I look in my closet, theres nothing.
Though It’s true lots of clothes are hanging in there.
That could have been written about me, she thought. The huge, walk-in closet was completely stuffed.  There were pant suits and cocktail dresses and jeans and glitzy tops; a cabinet with six shelves  held  over 30 pairs of  shoes neatly arranged by style, sneakers on one shelf, sandals on another  and high heels and dressy flats on still another.  The shelves on the bottom held purses of every size from tiny evening bags to practical carry-ons and the shelves on the top held hats. There was a rainbow of caps, four beach hats and a bright red hat which she wore when she went to a meeting of The Red Hat Society. Natalie loved to shop; she took great care of her clothes and she never gave anything away. It might come in handy someday, she reasoned.  So there were clothes she bought last month mixed with clothes from ten, even twenty years ago .
The right front of the closet held over 10 cocktail dresses, long skirts and sequined tops; they were what she called her working clothes.  She hadn’t gained more than a few pounds in the many years she had been singing because, although she loved to eat, she was very careful. She got on the scale every single day and if she gained a pound on Wednesday she made sure to lose it by Saturday. It’s easy to lose one or two pounds, but I'd sure hate to have to lose five or fifteen she told friends when they asked how she stayed so thin. “I’m careful about what I eat and I exercise and play tennis and I take long walks a lot and, you know, carrying all of my equipment around to my shows is like weight lifting.”
Nothing!, she thought in disgust.  Nothing looks right for tonight. The party she was going to attend was the SAMA (Singers and Musicians Association) annual holiday gala.  It was very important that she look just right because all of her professional friends  and associates would be attending ; it was also a good time to meet  casting directors and talent agents on an informal basis.  Natalie was a singer; she used to perform at nightclubs and on cruise ships, but for the last few years, she worked mostly at country clubs and private parties and sometimes retirement communities.  She knew the entertainment world has changed a lot in the almost 40 years she had been singing.  Her agent kept  telling her that she needed a Web site and business cards and a demo video and she knows he’s right, but somehow, she hasnt gotten around to doing these things.  
Maybe I have time to run out to the store and buy a new dress.  No! That’s ridiculous.
I dont need any more clothes. I don’t wear even half of the things I have.   I’ll just close my eyes and pick something.   She realized that shed been standing in the closet thinking for about ten minutes so she closed her eyes, pointed, opened them and groaned.
No, not the turquoise beaded jacket; the only think it goes with is a long black skirt and I think it’s at the cleaners.  I’ll try again or is that cheating?  She laughed at herself. Who would know or care? So, she closed her eyes tightly, turned around twice for good measure, opened them and looked at where her finger was pointing.  Oh, good! That’s much better, she thought as she took a silver sparkly dress off its hanger.  I love this dress and I’m almost sure I didn’t wear it to the holiday party last year. Now, what shoes?  What jewelry? Which purse? Sometimes, I really wish I had a husband to give me advice about what to wear.  Although, from what I hear from my f riends, they aren’t much help.  Liz says Joe is colorblind and poor Jenna said her husband always told her she looked wonderful, even if she was wearing ratty old jeans and no make-up.  I wonder what it would have been like to be married, to be a wife. Don asked me to marry him, but he wanted me to give up singing in clubs at night and traveling and I didn’t want to do that. I’m pretty sure Alex would have asked me, but I was taking care of Mom poor Mom, she was so sick for a few years, and then there was What’s-his-name? Martin? Melvin? I dont even remember.  Anyway, it isn’t bad being single. I have enough money to do anything I want; I have a great apartment, good friends Hey,  it’s getting late. I better stop thinking and start getting ready.
She carefully put the dress on the bed, selected shoes and jewelry, and then sat down at the dressing table to, as she put it, start the magic. She carefully applied foundation, concealer, blush, eye shadow, false eyelashes and lip gloss. The whole process took almost an hour and then she started on her hair.  Why didnt I go to the beauty shop? she moaned as she fashioned a glittery clip into her blond curls.
Okay, she thought as she twirled in front of the mirror; this is as good as it gets; not bad for a woman who’s been singing for over forty years. Forty years! How is that possible when I still feel like twenty-five?
She draped a black, silk shawl over her shoulders, grabbed her evening bag and went downstairs to wait for her friend Liz and her husband who had offered to pick her up. “It’s silly for you to take your car; you’re right on our way,” they insisted.
The party was in full swing when she walked into the room; she was immediately surrounded by friends.
Natalie, it’s so wonderful to see you.”
Natalie, it’s been too long; where have you been keeping yourself?”
Natalie, you look terrific. I always loved that dress on you.
Hi, everyone, it’s so great to see you too.”  She hugged and air kissed several people. Damn, she thought, What did she mean she always loved this dress on me? Did I wear it last year?   Oh my, as a pair of arms grabbed her, a bear hug!
Mike, you scared me. How are you? What? she said to a woman who was shouting something to her.  “I can’t hear you; this music is so loud.  Oh, you want me to sit at your table? I’d love to. Is there room for Liz and her husband? They're parking the car.
Natalie, you need a drink,” Clay Carter, wearing blue jeans and a hot green tee shirt (he was opposed to jackets and didnt even own a tie), appeared at her side holding two glasses of wine.  “How are you, Sweetie?” he kissed her cheek. When are we going to have another singing session?  Call me tomorrow.  I’ll go get us some snacks.”
“Who was that?” Grace, a fellow singer who Natalie didn’t particularly care for because she was known as the group gossip, nudged her and whispered loudly, “I mean, who in the world was that? He’s absolutely yummy!  Listen, (she lowered her voice) I heard you were seeing some guy, a  younger guy. Is that him?  I bet it is.  How old is he?  Why you devil! Are you a, what do they call them?  Cougars!  Are you a cougar?”
Dont be silly, Natalie answered as she sipped her wine. “Clay is a friend; we’re just
friends.  He’s a singer, too, and we like to sing together sometimes.
“Sure!  I get it,” Grace winked.  “I won’t say another word. “Anyway, I want to show you something.  I’ve got pictures of my grandson’s birthday party!   Look, they’re right here on my phone. See, here he is blowing out the candles and here is his friend  who was crying and here is his cake and
That’s so interesting,” Natalie said as she backed away. “I’m just going touh, look for
Liz and show her where we’re sitting.”

 



No comments:

Post a Comment